Car accidents can be a traumatic experience for anyone involved, especially if you are not at fault. Despite following all the traffic rules and being cautious on the road, accidents can still occur due to other drivers’ recklessness or negligence. If you find yourself in such a situation, knowing what to do next is important.
Here are the essential steps you should take when you get in a car accident that’s not your fault:
1. Check on everyone involved: The first and foremost thing to do is ensure everyone involved in the accident is okay. Check if anyone has been injured and call for medical assistance if required. If the accident happened on a busy road, move the vehicles to the side to avoid further collisions.
2. Call the police: Whether a severe or a minor accident, it’s important to call the police and report the incident. Make sure to provide accurate information about what happened, and don’t admit fault or apologize for anything.
3. Collect evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and surroundings. Make a note of the other driver’s name, contact information, driver’s license number, and insurance details. Witness statements also play a vital role in proving your case, so take down the information of anyone who saw the accident.
4. Contact a personal injury attorney: If you were not at fault, you may be entitled to compensation for damages and injuries incurred during the accident. A personal injury attorney can help you determine your legal options and make sure that your rights are protected. They can also communicate with the insurance companies and handle the legal proceedings, so you can focus on recovering.
5. Notify the insurance company: Even if the accident was not your fault, you still need to report it to your insurance company. Provide them with all the necessary details, and don’t admit fault or make any statements without consulting an attorney.
In conclusion, getting in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but knowing what to do can make it less stressful. Stay calm, call the police, collect evidence, and contact an attorney to protect your legal rights and help ensure you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
Are you seeking a personal injury law firm to help you with your case? Campbell & Associates has been assisting clients reach a settlement or verdict for over 37 years. Our policy is you pay nothing unless we win. Call our office today for your free injury case consultation at 704-333-0885.